Saturday, February 11, 2012

Cool Salsa

Cool Salsa, edited by Lori M Carlson, is a book of 36 poems in both Spanish and English.  Here is a sample poem that relates to language learning.


Aprender el inglés
by Luis Alberto Ambroggio

Vida
para entenderme
tienes que saber español
sentirlo en la sangre de tu alma.

Si hablo otro lenguaje
y uso palabras distintas
para expresar sentimientos que nunca cambiarán
no sé
si seguiré siendo
la misma persona.


Learning English
Translated from the Spanish by Lori M Carlson


Life
to understand me
you have to know Spanish
feel it in the blood of your soul.

If I speak another language
and use different words
for feelings that will always stay the same
I don't know
if I'll continue being
the same person.


I'm not really a big poetry fan, but I enjoy this book because it shows a lot of feelings and it makes me think.  It also helps that it has both Spanish and English; that way I can easily understand any parts I don't quite get.  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment